No, this is not instant ramen, how dare you think that low of me. This ramen is really easy to make, its almost as fast as the instant kind, but way better for you. According to Dr. Mercola, Instant ramen contains harmful preservatives that you don’t want to eat. The noodles take hours to actually break down in your body, much like when you eat fast food.
This is no bueno.
Not all ramen noodles are created equal, the organic versions will most likely not have these harmful effects on your body. Just do your research, and maybe call the company to see if they use anything you don’t want to eat.
Anyway, I digress, back to the recipe…
I like to use dried mushrooms in this one because when you put them in your stock it creates a fantastic umami flavor, just like in a real ramen restaurant. You also really should opt for using homemade stock, the store bought kind is gross. You can also switch up the other veggies in this if you want, I had carrots and spinach in the house so that’s what I used.
- 2 c vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 oz dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp arame
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tamari or liquid aminos
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- ½ small onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 ramen noodle cake
- 1 scallion, sliced
- ¼ c baby spinach
- n a small bowl add the arame and just enough water to cover the arame, let sit 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, drain the arame and set aside.
- Heat the stock in a small pot over high heat, get the stock to a boil. While its coming up to a boil add the dried mushrooms, ginger, garlic, and tamari, then cover the pot. When it reaches a boil, bring it down to a simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the noodles, onion, and carrots and recover, cook for 5 minutes until the noodles are cooked.
- Turn off the flame and add the spinach and stir with a pair of chopsticks. Ladle a little bit of the broth into the bowl you're going to eat out of and add the miso paste, stir it around in the liquid so it dissolves completely. Pour the rest of your ramen dish into your bowl and stir. Garnish with scallions and arame. Turn off your phone, enjoy alone.